Monday, November 17, 2008

What it Takes to be a Great Fundraiser

Money Back GuaranteeImage by Roby72 via Flickr

(Excerpted from Kathy LeMay's program, "7 Steps to Awakening the Bold, Big Dollar, Social Change Fundraiser Within!")

A few weeks ago I read an article by a fundraising consultant about how to stay motivated during difficult fundraising times. Included in this article was this sentence (which I am slightly paraphraising): "Fundraising can be demoralizing which means it's important to find ways to stay motivated and excited."

Fundraising can be demoralizing.

When I began fundraising I would have agreed with this fundraiser. There were times when I felt I was asked to pander to a donor, swallow my voice for the sake of "getting the gift", or say what needed to be said to keep a donor happy. I think I did this for about 10 minutes before I decided to be as authentic in my fundraising work as I was in programmatic work. I made a decision to trust the donor and trust that we both wanted to make a difference.

Fifteen years and more than $100 million raised from individuals later I know now what I think each of us knows intrinsically: leading with truth and authenticity builds real, lasting partnerships. This approach honors the donor, the fundraiser and the work and produces results.


Read the full article
to find out how to begin fundraising from a place of truth, authenticity, hope and personal power.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]